List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Fake AP in the Vendor field of Netstumbler
From:       "Michael Puchol" <mpuchol () sonar-security ! com>
Date:       2004-11-30 23:08:24

Hi,

A few months ago, someone wrote a tool to 'confuse' Netstumbler by replying
it's probe requests with hundreds of 'fake' frames, containing MAC addresses
and SSIDs that could be random or picked from a list. The result was the
Netstumbler log file filing up with thousands of fake entries in a very
short time.

The reasoning behind this was that you could 'hide' a real AP behind this
barrage of fake APs - it wouldn't take long to find the real AP to a trained
eye, besides, you would be flooding the channel with so much bogus data that
the medium would run out of space for legit data coming/going from/to legit
clients.

So, in recent versions of Netstumbler, a mechanism for trying to detect
these fake APs was implemented, and it can sometimes trigger, giving the
'Fake' indication. If you don't see a lot of APs appearing, then maybe
Netstumbler derives this 'fake' flag by some other means I am unaware of - I
don't know the intricacies of Netstumbler, but you can contact Marius
Milner, the author, at http://www.stumbler.net

Interference in the RF medium would cause corrupt frames, which would have a
non-matching checksum and would thus be discarded. It's very unlikely a bad
frame would pass a checksum, and even then you would see a good result on a
succesive frame.

Find FakeAP here:

http://www.blackalchemy.to/project/fakeap/

Best regards,