List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: 2 NIC's on same network, possible?
From:       "skate" <root () fatcuban ! com>
Date:       2000-07-30 15:35:10

>   If the adapters go to different VLANs, you have a multi-homed box.
> If the VLANs have overlapping address spaces, you've got a really
> interesting mess on your hands, and if they don't then you can't
> usefully give the same (teamed) address to multiple adapters.

if your running windows (which i don't know as i missed the other posts),
then you'll also have problems with netbios broadcasts conflicting with
eachother. it'll try to broadcast the same name over different IP's, which
will cause a conflict and knock the whole machine off the network. you'll
have the same problem with trying to give it the same IP. unless you have
some kind of load balancer, it's very tricky.

we installed a 4 port network card in one of our servers as a test, and it
caused only grief. still have yet to see any performance increase.