List:       security-basics
Subject:    Administrivia: Disclaimers, signatures, and previous messages
From:       Stephen Entwisle <se () securityfocus ! com>
Date:       2003-04-22 15:51:36

Howdy folks,

Just thought I would send out a quick note regarding some of the messages
that are being sent to the list. Several people have commented recently -
quite justifiably - that some of the messages to the list contain a fair
bit of extraneous text that should be snipped out. This particularly
includes lengthy disclaimers and signatures that include multiple
quotations. Please snip this material before sending your messages to the
list. If this is not possible due to workplace policies etc., please use
an e-mail account that does not require a disclaimer (if possible). Also,
we often have fairly lengthy discussions on this list. In these cases,
please be aware of the number of previous messages that you are including
in your response to the list and snip off any previous messages that are
not particularly relevant to your response.

And yes, I am aware of the possible inclusion of the list sponsorship
messages in this discussion of "extraneous" content :)  Unfortunately, for
better or for worse, if SecurityFocus is going to be able to continue to
host the numerous free mailing lists that we offer, we need to include the
sponsorship in order to subsidize the expenses that hosting the lists
entails. That said, please feel free to snip the sponsorship text from

Thanks,

Stephen Entwisle
Moderator, Security-Basics
SecurityFocus
http://www.securityfocus.com
(403) 213 3939 ext. 235

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Europe, May 12-15 in Amsterdam, the
world's premier event for IT and network security experts.  The two-day
Training features 6 hand-on courses on May 12-13 taught by professionals.
The two-day Briefings on May 14-15 features 24 top speakers with no vendor
sales pitches.  Deadline for the best rates is April 25.  Register today to
ensure your place.  http://www.securityfocus.com/BlackHat-security-basics