List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Need a Full Drive Encryption program
From:       Samuel Hillaire <samhillaire () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-05-31 19:32:55

An alternative suggestion to the hard drive encryption, would be to look at IBM laptops.  On
previous models like the 7xx series of laptops (I haven't looked recently), there was an option
for a hard drive password.  Using a little known portion of the ATA (hard drive) specification,
the hard drive required a password on initial powerup (computer booting).  This password protected
the drive from theft, since every time power was applied to the hard drive, the BIOS queried for
the hard drive password.  The only way to defeat this mechanism is to send the laptop back to IBM.

I knew several executives who swore by this, and would only carry IBM laptops.

Sam Hillaire
MCSE, MCDBA
samhillaire@yahoo.com