List:       security-basics
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: question on spoofed email
From:       Rob Hughes <rob () robhughes ! com>
Date:       2002-04-30 17:32:42

It's spoofing by a spammer. As several others have already mentioned,
this is trivial. It's done on the assumption that any mail from you from
anywhere to you on your own server will be accepted. The way you fix it
is to disallow relaying by domain, and only allow relaying by IP
address/range, or to require authentication to the SMTP server. Consult
with your email admin(s) about this, as they should be familiar with the
required procedures.