List:       security-basics
Subject:    RE: Directory Security
From:       "Robert D. Hughes" <rob () robhughes ! com>
Date:       2001-09-29 14:44:21

You don't say what NOS you're running, but you can remove administrative
access to the files using file system permissions. I would recommend
that you allow whatever user the backups are run as to continue to have
access. To do this, on UNIX you would run either chown -R user:nogroup
<homedir> or, if nogroup is not present, then the equivalent for your
system. To allow the backup user to continue to have access, run chown
-R user:backup (or the equivalent for your system) on the appropriate
directory.  You may also need to modify permissions with the chmod
command (run man chmod for more info). On NT/WIN2K, simply right click
the user's home directory and remove access for everyone except the user
and the backup user or group then apply to all directories,
subdirectories and files. On a Novell system, the same applies if you
have access to a workstation with the Novell client installed. Its been
so long since I worked with Novell though, I've forgotten how to do it
from the server.

Rob