List:       security-basics
Subject:    RE: Query on audit approach while doing information security audit
From:       "leon" <leon () inyc ! com>
Date:       2001-09-28 13:43:08

Hi,

This is probably a better question suited for the pen-test list (this
question has actually already been answered on that list several times
and if you take the time to search the SF archives which rock you will
find the info) but I will take a stab at it.

I would begin by gathering information and documenting (security &
incident response policy, configurations, service packs / patches.)
Configurations of all ip aware devices (switches, routers, firewall &
Ids).

Once you have a good amount of information gathered you can begin to
assess the state of the network.  If they have a security policy you
have something to match up the state of the network against.  If not you
MUST write them one.  I would then begin port scanning & running Nessus.
At that point you should have a good idea of the big holes and what
needs to be patched.

Hope that helps,

Leon