List:       security-basics
Subject:    RE: SirCam Protection
From:       "james Tomlinson" <jamest1234 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-09-27 18:01:56

The best defense against all of these types of email/vbs virus' is to make
sure that all your users have installed the office service packs 1a and 2.
This will turn off Outlooks ability to run .exe, .vbs, .js and other types
of executable files.  These service packs also contain a number of other
security patches.

The only other thing to do is make sure that they all have an anti-virus
program that is checking for updates DAILY.

On last idea would be to install some filters further upstream from your
exchange server.  Do you use any proxy, relays or firewalls in front of the
Exchange server?  If so, you might be able to filter out the messages at
that point instead of letting your Exchange server deal with it.

Hope this helps.

James