List:       securedistros
Subject:    Re: Secure Linux Alternatives (fwd)
From:       Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex ! com>
Date:       2000-07-29 6:17:11

Mike Beede wrote:

> > Crispin Cowan <crispin@wirex.com>:
> >
> >    * Secure Linux (Flask)
> >      http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/fluke/html/linux.html : joint effort
> >      between the NSA and U.Utah researchers to integrate the Flask
> >      http://www.cs.utah.edu/flux/fluke/html/flask.html security
> >      technology package into Linux.  Flask is based on the DTOS/Mach
> >      architecture that (IIRC) is primarily based on capabilities.
>
> I'm afraid you don't RC--neither DTOS nor Flask use capabilities.
> They both support various label-based policies.

Thanks much to Smalley, Beedle, and Loe for their enlightening
clarifications on what goes into the Flask system.  This is more like what
I expect from securedistros:  informative discussion of what makes a
secure linux distribution secure.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Chief Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                          http://immunix.org

-
Securedistros: A common list for all secured Linux distributions
Archive:       http://humbolt.nl.linux.org/lists/