List:       secure-shell
Subject:    ssh using shosts works but scp doesn't
From:       Steven Kroeger <skroeger () cs ! iastate ! edu>
Date:       2001-05-31 22:05:02

I need scp to authenticate via the .shosts in my root directory. So far I
have ssh working to authenticate but scp for some reason requests a
passphrase. This is a copy of the output from scp -v to the machine I want to
authenticate with...

# scp -v somefile somewhere:/tmp > errors.txt
Executing: host somewhere, user (unspecified), command scp -v -t /tmp
SSH Version 1.2.27 [i586-unknown-linux], protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with RSAREF.
: Reading configuration data /root/.ssh/config
: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
: Connecting to somewhere [*.*.*.*] port 22.
: Allocated local port 1022.
: Connection established.
: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_2.5.2p2
: Waiting for server public key.
: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
: Host 'somewhere' is known and matches the host key.
: Initializing random; seed file /root/.ssh/random_seed
: IDEA not supported, using 3des instead.
: Encryption type: 3des
: Sent encrypted session key.
: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
: Received encrypted confirmation.
: No agent.
: Trying RSA authentication with key 'root@----'
: Received RSA challenge from server.
Enter passphrase for RSA key 'root@----':
Bad passphrase.
: Remote: Wrong response to RSA authentication challenge.
: Doing password authentication.
password:
Permission denied.
lost connection

I don't know what would cause scp to fail where ssh succeeds so any help
would be great.

Steve.