List:       secure-shell
Subject:    ssh, sshd and inetd
From:       Thomas DeBellis <Thomas.DeBellis () citicorp ! com>
Date:       1999-05-25 5:26:36

Howdy!

This is a request for some explicit directions.  Exactly what to
type, that sort of thing.

We're evaluating using ssh here at The Bank.

We've downloaded the latest ssh 2.x and ssh 1.2.26 and succeeded in
getting them compiled and running on the following platforms: Olvetti
Unix SVR4 (2.4.2), Digital Unix V4.0 (878), SCO Unix 4.2MP (2.1.3) and
Red Hat Linux 2.0.36 (#1).

We have a very simple test application also ported to all these
platforms which has a simple command line.  For server mode it can be
invoked from the shell by:

	halfchat SERVER 7900

Which indicates to come up as a server using port 7900, the client is
invoked in a similar manner:

	halfchat remote_host 7900

Where 'remote_host' can be replaced by anything that DNS can handle.
I'd like to put together a very simple demonstration of ssh/sshd
'redirection' using inetd, but I don't precisely understand what to
put in inetd.

I guess on a client I would utter something on the order of 'halfchat
localhost 7901' and have a line in inetd.conf that would invoke ssh
with the appropriate magic stuff to go to remote_host on some other
(arbitrary?) port.  Then on remote_host, there would be an entry in
/etc/services and inetd.conf to fire up sshd when a connect came in on
that port and then do something like 'halfchat localhost 7900'?

I know this gets kicked around a bit every so often, but I've never
seen the actual inetd.conf entries and don't find them anywhere
obvious.

Somebody has done this?  I know it is slow to fire up sshd from inetd,
but has anyone done it?  Would you consider emailing me your
inetd.conf file?  The version of Unix and ssh that you are using would
help also.

Alternatively, I remember that there is a way to configure sshd to do
this kind of redirection stuff to speed up the connection.  Who has
done this?  Can you send me an explicit example?

I have everything else ready to go (i.e., public/private key
authentication so no passwords need be entered), but I am in a super,
major big rush hurry.   Any Help?!

					--T