List:       secure-shell
Subject:    RE: Failure of port 22 bind
From:       "McDermott, Arthur" <amcdermott () engage ! com>
Date:       1999-02-17 13:13:14

I apologize for omitting lots of crucial stuff from my email, I hit send
a bit hastily yesterday.  I am using version 1.2.22 of ssh.  Neither my
/etc/services nor /etc/inetd.conf have any reference to port 22 or ssh.
I am running on Solaris 2.5.1.  My /var/adm/messages is where I got my
error messages
1) [ssh] Bind failed port 22; Address already in use
2) [ssh] Fatal; Transport endpoint not connected.

I am running as root.  If I attempt 'telnet <localhost> 22' I receive a
"Connection closed by foreign host' message.

If I execute 'netstat -a|grep LISTEN'  I am told that port 22 is in a
LISTEN state.

I guess what I need to do is to free port 22 and try to force ssh to do
the bind again.  Any suggestion on how to do this?

Thanks to all.