List:       secure-shell
Subject:    Re: ssh with kermit
From:       Jim Dennis <jimd () starshine ! org>
Date:       1997-03-30 4:10:56

> On 27 Mar 1997 09:16:26 GMT, Jim Dennis wrote:
>>	My question is -- how to I get ssh to do that.
>>
>>	The whole ssh -L port#:host:port# just does
>>	quite make sense to me.
>>
>>	An example would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ok. Edit your ~/.ssh/config and write something like
>
> 	# defaults for remote.this.dom
> 	Host remote
> 	 HostName remote.this.dom
> 	 Compression no
> 	 # forward telnet to target host
> 	 LocalForward 6023 remote.this.dom:23

	Was this config file at the remote host or on my
	local machine?

> Now, after starting 'ssh remote' the local port 6023 will be
> forwared to port 23 (the telnet port) on host remote.this.dom
> so you can do a 'kermit -C "telnet > localhost:6023" ' to get
> a telnet session to remote.this.dom which is encrypted through ssh.

	That sounds like the inetd or whatever's listening on the
	remote end would need to be an sshd.

	The closest I've been able to come up with is to
	open a kermit/telnet session to the localhost and then
	do an ssh from there to the remote host.  This does allow
	me to do file transfers and logging -- and I suspect I can
	script the whole mess.  Those are the kermit features that
	I want to use through the ssh link.

	This works.  I also tried doing a SET LINE /dev/tty
	but that didn't work.  It would be really neat if
	kermit had some sort of option to connect to the
	local /dev/tty so I could use things like stel, ssltelnet
	and ssh and still do my scripting, logging, and file
	transfers.

	Another thing I'm hoping for is a way to do something like
	SET FILE DESTINATION PROGRAM { tar xzf - }

	(can't be done yet -- but maybe in the next version).

	I might be able to do something like that a

	SET PROTOCOL OTHER ....

	... to do that.

	The idea of either of these would be to prepare the
	local end -- then issue a command like:

		find .... | tar cTf - | kermit -s -

	... on the remote.

	Currently that command creates a file named STDIN on
	my end.  I can then tar xzf that.  I'd like to avoid
	the intermediate file storage.

--
Jim Dennis,                                info@mail.starshine.org
Proprietor,                          consulting@mail.starshine.org

        PGP  1024/2ABF03B1 Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
        Key fingerprint =  2524E3FEF0922A84  A27BDEDB38EBB95A