List:       secure-shell
Subject:    Fitting ssh into a university environment
From:       Tatu Ylonen <ylo () cs ! hut ! fi>
Date:       1996-01-27 20:34:33

> As you can see, our system is set up for convenience, a reasonable level
> of security, and attempts to provide the same environment on any
> workstation or xdm/login server.  I suspect that much of the additional
> security provided by ssh would be ineffective in our environment.  In

I mostly agree that ssh would not provide much extra security in your
environment, since passwords and other data will be going in the clear
to/from the X terminal anyway (plus you use NIS, etc.)

However, ssh may actually be more convenient to users than rsh/rlogin,
as it automatically sets DISPLAY.  For primarily this reason,
first-year computer science students were taught to use ssh in our
university.  For the novice user, it is easier to use than rlogin,
since you don't have to worry about DISPLAY.

    Tatu