List:       secure-shell
Subject:    no security thanks pine....
From:       Tatu Ylonen <ylo () cs ! hut ! fi>
Date:       1996-01-24 12:48:40

> Far most of my nettraffic is done by my mail reader, I followed the
> packet exchange with sniffit and had to discover that the
> connections done by pine include a login with username&password in
> clear.

Are you using POP to communicate with the mail server?

You can probably do something like the following:

  - start ssh with port forwarding, something like:
      ssh -L 109:mailhost:109 -L 110:mailhost:110 mailhost sleep 10000
  - configure your mail reader so that the mail server host is "localhost".
  - read your mail normally.  The mail reader contacts the pop port on
    localhost, which actually gets forwarded to the mail server over
    ssh.

    Tatu