List:       secure-shell
Subject:    Re: windows to linux via the internet
From:       "Frank S. Bernhardt" <frank () bcsi ! ca>
Date:       2004-02-17 23:06:48

Jules

I've been following this thread for a bit and there are a number of good
posts but some are quite scary.

You never ever want to put your shares onto the Internet un-encrypted so
  using ssh is a good thing. Setting up vpn's can be a pain and may or
may not work depending on what routers the various isps are using (found
that one out the hard way).

What I have found works the best for my customers and their various
configurations is to use cygwin's ssh under windoze to do the encryption
and Openssh on the Linux box to de-encrypt.

For example.

On the Linux server I do:

ssh -A -f -g -N -v -L 9876:localhost:139 servername

On the PC I do (after installing cygwin):

ssh -l username localhost -v -L 139:servername.domainname:9876

net use x: \\127.0.0.1\sharename

(make sure you disable file & print sharing on the PC first)

What this effectively does is to cause windoze to access the sharename
on the machine with ip address 127.0.0.1, itself. ssh is listening to
port 139 on 127.0.0.1 and encrypts the session and connects to port 9876
(or whatever you specify) on the remote Linux server running Samba. ssh
on the remote server is listening to port 9876 and decrypts the data and
forwards it to port 139 on the localhost (Reader's Digest (tm) version).

Notes:

- You don't need the '-v'; that's for seeing what's going on.

- If using a firewall (and you should) remember to forward port 9876 (or
whatever).

- On the server, put the command in a startup script with a nohup.

- You can copy the keys to the client to eliminate the password prompt,
but having the password isn't really such a bad thing especially if the
client is a laptop that could be 'lost'.

- Server O/S environments tested are Linux and SCO OpenServer

- Client O/S environments tested are 2000 Pro, XP Pro (Pro ... now
there's an oxymoron). I suspect win98 should work too.

I've used this configuration both inside and outside customers' offices
on lan, adsl, cable and serial modem connections with much success.

--

Regards

Frank S. Bernhardt
b.c.s.i.