List:       secure-shell
Subject:    Re: ssh statistics ? connection slows down !
From:       "Steve Bonds" <05gekfc02 () sneakemail ! com>
Date:       2004-01-31 0:05:47

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Lars Bohnsack lars.bohnsack-at-haeusler-net.biz
|secureshell@securityfocus.com| wrote:

> is it possible to have something like a real-time statistc about a ssh
> connection?
> Something like:
> 	used bandwidth
> 	throughput
> 	start of the session
> 	TX an RX of the session
> 	roundtrip times or something like that

Lars:

Look at the generic TCP connection diagnostic utility "tcptrace".  It will
give you all these statistics for any captured TCP session.

http://jarok.cs.ohiou.edu/software/tcptrace/tcptrace.html

The only quirk is that it assumes than any connection that is idle for
more than 2 minutes and then restarts is a new connection.  If you see
lots of "new" connections with the same source and destination
address/port pairs in the report this is likely your problem.  I have a
patch to fix this "feature" if you need it.

To use it, capture the TCP session using your favorite packet grabbing
utility (e.g. tcpdump, ethereal, snoop, etc.) and run tcptrace with the
appropriate options on that file.

  -- Steve