List:       secure-shell
Subject:    Re: SSH password authentication failure
From:       Andrew <andrew () arda ! homeunix ! net>
Date:       2002-09-26 21:36:34

If I understand correctly, you've compiled and installed a new version
of OpenSSL. Have you stopped and started the sshd process since then? Is
  OpenSSH linking dynamically to OpenSSL libraries? Try running

ldd /path/to/sshd

You should see sshd linked to libcrypto among other things if it is
dynamically linked.

Debug output from your connection attempt would definitly help.

Andrew