List:       secure-desktops
Subject:    Re: [Secure Desktops] Introducing a public db for software and firmware hashes
From:       Joanna Rutkowska <joanna () invisiblethingslab ! com>
Date:       2016-11-11 15:22:12

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 04:14:22PM +0100, Joanna Rutkowska wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 09:57:52AM -0500, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Your email or the website make no mentions of the form of software
> > (sources, binaries, distribution packages...) that you suppose is to
> > be hashed. Do you intend it to be format-agnostic (and have, maybe,
> > separate hashes in the base for the source and various distribution
> > packages), or to be "the canonical version distributed to end-users",
> > or have a more specific form of software packages in mind?
> >

> We can hash whatever that makes the most sense for a particular project. E.g.
> for an OS project like Qubes OS or Tails, it makes most sense to hash the final
> ISO. For a popular distro like Debian or Fedora, it might make lots of sense to
> additionally have hashes of all the packages from the stable apt/yum
> repositories.
>
> For a project like some secure communication app, which is distributed via
> github.com and the user is expected to build it herself, it might make most
> sense to give the hash of the sources for the given release (git commit id if
> you're into SHA1).
>
> For an embedded project like OpenWRT, where one can build a trillion of
> binaries, depending on the config used, again it will make more sense to give
> the hash of the sources (e.g. for 15.05.01). (Of course, in case of OpenWRT this
> makes no sense actually, as it does attempt to wget and/or git clone some
> sources during its build process _without_ checking their digests. Although,
> admittedly, for majority of others it does check the hashes indeed, it's
> irrelevant, because only one "wget|bash" is needed to destroy everything.)
>
> > (I understand that this effort, especially if format-agnostic, is
> > orthogonal/complementary to the work on reproducible builds that is
> > gaining steam at https://reproducible-builds.org/ )
> >

> Of course. Because what good is it that I can build something reproducibly, if I
> cannot compare my result with others?

Also, in case it wasn't clear: the primary audience for such a DB should be
developers or admins (e.g. IT department in a large organization), I think. Not
users. Users are always somehow fated to trust the "last mile" vendor, and there
is little feasibility in implementing any form of trust distribution for them.

joanna.