List:       secure-desktops
Subject:    Re: [Secure Desktops] "Secure" OS meeting?
From:       Trammell Hudson <hudson () trmm ! net>
Date:       2016-11-02 11:21:40

intrigeri wrote:
> The idea of bringing (at least) Qubes OS, Subgraph OS and Tails people
> together for a few days has been floating around since it was
> suggested last year at IFF. [...]

This sounds like an excellent idea to me.  One additional topic that I'd
like to discuss at the meeting is firmware and hardware configurations
to help improve the security of the operating systems.  If you can't
trust your firmware, you can't trust your OS...

The Qubes 4.0 HCL begins to address this by requiring open source on
much of the firmware (with exceptions of the FSP blob and the ME code),
although I'm worried that open-source firmware by itself is insufficient.
I have been prototyping and researching additional firmware improvements
to measure and attest the boot process, perform PGP signature verification
on kernels and hypervisors, use the TPM to protect the encryption keys,
etc as well as hardening of commodity systems to try to make the hardware
more difficult to tamper with.

Sources and details are on my website:

https://trmm.net/Heads

> Their preferred locations would be Amsterdam, Barcelona and Berlin.
> [...] Regarding "when": would March-May 2017 be good for you?

I'm in favor of Amsterdam in April, although if it is planned far enough
in advance I can be flexible with the timing.

--
Trammell