List:       secure-desktops
Subject:    [Secure Desktops] [qubes-devel] Re: Deterministic builds for Qubes OS -- the shortcut?
From:       hw42 () ipsumj ! de (HW42)
Date:       2015-12-23 0:19:00

Patrick Schleizer:
> Hi!
>
> Debian is working on deterministic built packages. To my knowledge, they
> are not yet working on deterministic iso and/or raw images.

They focus currently on packages. But its on their TODO list AFAIK.

> To have a package build deterministically is one thing. To have it not
> generate any entropy while installing it [within the raw image], is
> another story.
>
> Some non-determinsitic examples include:
>
> - /etc/xml/catalog
>
> - /var/cache/man
>
> - /var/cache/fontconfig
>
> - More examples can be extracted from here:
>
> https://github.com/Whonix/whonix-initializer/blob/8b150409c464427c89aa9d4e261b80f5fc2fa5d1/usr/lib/anon-dist/chroot-scripts-post.d/80_cleanup
>
> - Other small things that add up such as MBR random disk signatures and
> disk uuid.
>
> - File creation and access times.
>
> - Location / ordering within the image.
>
> So I am afraid, even when the Debian repository is 100% reproducible, it
> will take longer until also iso and/or raw images can be build reproducible.

Reproducible packages and reproducible installs/images are two different
problems (with the same motivation). I.e. you can work on reproducible
installs without reproducible packages.

I think reproducible images are a manageable complex problem. I made
some test and came to a similar list as you. Most of the stuff is easily
fixed (at least as long as you don't need to do it upstream).

Qubes has the advantage that, since we are dealing with VM images, we
can move much of the cache generating stuff to the first boot (that's
not a nice option for live distributions).

But yes that's work and needs to be done ;]