List:       sectools
Subject:    checkps-1.3.2 bug fixed
From:       Duncan Simpson <dps () IO ! STARGATE ! CO ! UK>
Date:       2001-04-18 23:57:01

This is a multipart MIME message.

Unfrotunately checkps 1.3.2 seems to have picked a bad system call: at least
one my box setpgid(0, <pid>) returns EPERM for invalid process id's too. The
kernel source would suggest otherwise but my kernel image seems to give me
EPERM in almost all cases (modulo the few allowed process ids). The fix changes
the call to getpgid() which disturbs things less, is not affected by adore,
and produces ESRCH or a result consistently.

Please verify at lest the md5sum, if not my signtures.

1f4a9fd74e4e5d0737ed1ef30664ce47  checkps-1.3.2-emergency-fix
ff8b67ffab0aaa94f10dea1ef2d47f42  check-ps-1.3.2.1.tar.gz

My public key is avialable from http://checkps.alcom.co.uk, the public key
servers, or  email to me. The checkps 1.3.2.1 and it's seperate signtures are
avialable from sourceforge or checkps.alcom.co.uk. The fix, and a *seperate
singture of the gzipped patch*, are attatched. The fix is also avialable from
sourceforge. Appologies to everyone who experiences trouble.

Duncan (-:

P.S. Look out for a bleeding edge release soon with the ability to nuke
processes hidden by adore, which can not be reached by kill(2). My alternative
idea is PTRACE_ATTACH followed by PTRACE_KILL.

["checkps-1.3.2-emergency-fix.gz.asc" (text/plain)]

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.3ia

iQCVAwUAOt4n884kG9UPwSZpAQGhGwQA26mP4lKmGIfgrcrFzD4112+0TevSlPQV
hLrM4GDEH1MDexvyWRCTTlWd19nmAsH12jC9kRZE5THge2FIdANwnkqaeuvDleNH
buWVgQ6xpGSsK5XN4SaMG09n/Aoss5FtaTYb1hFizyhuBVy9TQzkGEEfHxDry1FG
sRIR3OuKgvE=
=d22J
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

["checkps-1.3.2-emergency-fix.gz" (application/x-gzip)]

Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is
legal and you can charge extra for fixing the problems."