List:       secpapers
Subject:    Paper: The Anatomy of Cross Site Scripting
From:       Gavin Zuchlinski <gzuchlinski () pgsit ! org>
Date:       2003-11-06 21:20:02

Hi,
I recently wrote a paper about fully attacking cross site scripting:

"Cross site scripting (XSS) flaws are a relatively common issue in web
application security, but they are still extremely lethal. They are unique in
that, rather than attacking a server directly, they use a vulnerable server
as a vector to attack a client. This can lead to extreme difficulty in
tracing attackers, especially when requests are not fully logged (such as
POST requests). Many documents discuss the actual insertion of HTML into a
vulnerable script, but stop short of explaining the full ramifications of
what can be done with a successful XSS attack.  While this is adequate for
prevention, the exact impact of cross site scripting attacks has not been
fully appreciated.  This paper will explore those possibilities."
The paper can be found at http://libox.net/xss_anatomy.php
(my apologies in advance about posting to multiple lists)

-Gavin
http://libox.net