List:       secpapers
Subject:    ScanSSH - Scanning the Internet for SSH Servers
From:       aleph1 () securityfocus ! com
Date:       2001-12-04 2:37:18

"ScanSSH - Scanning the Internet for SSH Servers",
Niels Provos and Peter Honeyman, 16th USENIX Systems Administration
Conference (LISA). San Diego, CA, December 2001.

SSH is a widely used application that provides secure remote login. It uses
strong cryptography to provide authentication and confidentiality. The IETF
SecSH working group is developing SSH  v2, an improved SSH protocol that
fixes cryptographic and design flaws in the SSH v1 protocol. SSH v2
compatible server software is widespread.

Recently discovered security flaws make it critically important to find
vulnerable SSH servers and update them. In this paper, we describe a method
to determine with good precision how many servers supporting the various
protocol version have been deployed on the net.

We describe the design and implementation of Scan SSH, a scanner that
probes SSH servers for their software version, and discuss the results of
scanning the Internet and our local networks for several months.

http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/reports/citi-tr-01-13.pdf

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus