List:       secpapers
Subject:    A Method for Fast Revocation of Public Key Certificates and Security Capabilities
From:       aleph1 () securityfocus ! com
Date:       2001-09-15 23:47:15

A Method for Fast Revocation of Public Key Certificates and Security
Capabilities
D. Boneh, X. Ding, G. Tsudik, M. Wong

We present a new approach to fast certificate revocation centered around the
concept of an on-line semi-trusted mediator (SEM). The use of a SEM in
conjunction with a simple threshold variant of the RSA cryptosystem (mediated
RSA) offers a number of practical advantages over current revocation
techniques. Our approach simplifies validation of digital signatures and
enables certificate revocation within legacy systems. It also provides
immediate revocation of all security capabilities. This paper discusses both
the architecture and implementation of our approach as well as performance
and compatibility with the existing infrastructure. Our results show that
threshold cryptography is practical for certificate revocation.

http://crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/papers/sem.pdf

--
Elias Levy
SecurityFocus