List:       seagull-general
Subject:    Re: [Seagull-general] Validation of translation RC3
From:       Demian Turner <demian () phpkitchen ! com>
Date:       2006-06-08 22:54:59

Hi Peter

> Oops, confusion!!
>
> I started the RC2 translation based on the information from an earlier
> email conversation:
>
>         > I derived stringfiles from the 0.5.5 version. Is that
>         > recent
>         > enough?
>
>         Any patch must be done against trunk (for development code) or
>         a bugfix
>         branch (for a stable release).  In your case please use trunk.

Strange, I don't usually give misleading advice, I'm sorry about this.
I think you must have asked me while we were working in trunk, so the
info was valid at the time.  I know there was a rationalisation of the
master translation done by I think Dmitry, the changeset is here:

http://trac.seagullproject.org/changeset/1774

He basically removed the auto-translated keys and re-created the list by
hand, with comments, with a view to improving organisation.  I believe
part of the work removed duplicates, etc.

> So, I took 'trunk' strings to translate.
> For the user module I effectively translated 359 strings.
>
> The current English file in both distribution and 06.bugfix branch
> contain only 286 strings, while trunk contains 360.
>
> How plausible is it that more than 20% of strings are obsolete? Or did
> I start with an incorrect file?

It is possible, that changeset has all the info, and if you look at the
date, the mod happened *after* our convo, when development had moved to
the bugfix branch.

> I'd like to avoid redundancy in work, so please let me know what
> possibly went wrong and if I should have used the trunk strings in the
> first place.

I totally understand, apologies for the confusion. most of the patch
contributors hang out on #seagull where they are quickly informed what
and where the latest code is, so that might be one way of checking.

just to reiterate, 0.6-bugfix is the latest code and the stuff in trunk,
at the time of writing, is very out of date.

cheers

Demian