List:       sbcl-devel
Subject:    [Sbcl-devel] Issue Fresh in SBCL 1.1.8: SSE Intrinsics!
From:       Lynn Quam <quam () AI ! SRI ! COM>
Date:       2016-04-28 14:14:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

When experimenting with the code in
http://www.pvk.ca/Blog/2013/06/05/fresh-in-sbcl-1-dot-1-8-sse-intrinsics
I experienced problems with "arithmetic error FLOATING-POINT-OVERFLOW
signalled".    After studying the code for a while I determined that the
code must be run with floating traps disabled, as shown below, and the
return results are then correct.   Paul Khuong's blog article doesn't
mention this.

(sb-int:with-float-traps-masked (:OVERFLOW :INVALID)
   (mandelbrot-escape (%make-simd-pack-single 1.0 -1.0 3.0 0.0)
              (replicate-float 0.0)
              256))
1 256 0 256