List:       sbcl-devel
Subject:    Re: [Sbcl-devel] build failure when bootstrapping with Clozure CL
From:       Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr () integrable-solutions ! net>
Date:       2010-10-19 12:01:20

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:59 AM, Nikodemus Siivola
<nikodemus@random-state.net> wrote:
> On 19 October 2010 11:06, Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net> wrote:
>
> What's stopping you from downloading a binary in addition to the
> sources? You don't need to install it to run it.
>

> No installed SBCL required. I feel like I'm missing something there.

This:

> Eg. for OS X:
>
> wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sbcl/sbcl-1.0.29-x86-darwin-binary-r2.tar.bz2
>
> tar -jxvf sbcl-1.0.29-x86-darwin-binary-r2.tar.bz2
>
> wget http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/sbcl/sbcl-1.0.43-source.tar.bz2?download
>
> tar -jxvf sbcl-1.0.43-source.tar.bz2
>
> cd sbcl-1.0.43
>
> sh make.sh --xc-host="sh ../sbcl-1.0.29-x86-darwin/run-sbcl.sh
> --no-userinit --disable-debugger"

If either the INSTALL file or the documentation has that, it would save you the
trouble of repeating it and the next user from having to discover it only after
a prolonger discussion.  The way INSTALL is currently written leaves the
mistaken impression that above won't work.

Thanks.

-- Gaby