List:       sbcl-devel
Subject:    [Sbcl-devel] Bootstrap failure with ECL
From:       Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr () integrable-solutions ! net>
Date:       2010-10-17 18:09:58

Hi,

I know that ECL is not officially supported by SBCL as a bootstrapping
compiler.  However, recent work done on the SBCL side and on the ECL
side made the idea attractive again (for some of us with new machines
where ECL builds out of the box, it really is an option one wants to
entertain.)

So I tried booting with ECL (after failing with Clozure CL.)
The build went much much further than it used to.
The failure I'm seeing is:

;;; Finished compiling src/code/deftypes-for-target.lisp.
;;;

The function (SETF CLASSOID-CELL-PCL-CLASS) is undefined.
Available restarts:

1. (RESTART-TOPLEVEL) Go back to Top-Level REPL.

Broken at SI:BYTECODES. [Evaluation of: (EVAL-WHEN (:LOAD-TOPLEVEL
:EXECUTE) (SB!IMPL::%DEFTYPE 'LAYOUT-CLOS-HASH))]
 File: #P"/home/gdr/src/sbcl.cvs/obj/from-host/src/code/deftypes-for-target.fas"
(Position #NIL)
SB!KERNEL>>

I did try to construct a smaller testcase (based on the appropriate
EVAL-WHEN) but
was unable to have a testcase that can reproduce the problem.
I do not know whether the problem lies in SBCL or in ECL.  I had already
reported it to the ECL people, but with no definite answer.  So, I'm also
reporting it here.
this is with both ECL and SBCL from CVS.

-- Gaby