List:       sbcl-announce
Subject:    [Sbcl-announce] sbcl-1.5.0 released, SBCL user survey
From:       Christophe Rhodes <csr21 () cantab ! net>
Date:       2019-02-24 17:47:01

Dear all,

I have just run the SBCL release process and uploaded source and an
x86-64 binary to Sourceforge.  The principal user-visible changes are
detailed below; one additional change is that, on the x86/Linux and
x86-64/Linux platforms, SBCL builds and links to the old glibc version
of memcpy() rather than the new one -- which should allow binaries built
on newer systems (such as the release binary) to run on old ones.

In addition, I ask SBCL users to consider filling in the user survey
available at
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe6GZTqlQbGZNusJ8W7oIWqpkh_6PuTsNGm4c_P8TfnUjBYxQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>;
 all questions are optional, but all volunteered information is welcome!
I hope to collate answers by about this point next month.

Best wishes,

Christophe

changes in sbcl-1.5.0 relative to sbcl-1.4.16:
  * enhancement: SB-COVER emulates IN-PACKAGE when recording source maps;
    this makes it possible to generate coverage for forms that uses local
    package nicknames, or otherwise must be read in the correct package.
  * build enhancement: new host quirks mechanism, support for building under
    ABCL and ECL (as well as CCL, CMUCL, CLISP and SBCL itself)
  * optimization: (FIND-SYMBOL x "P") for constant "P" executes faster,
    subject to "P" not being a package-local nickname of any
    package. Similarly INTERN.  (lp#1814924)
  * optimization: bounds checks are elided when possible where the same array
    is dereferenced multiple times.
  * bug fix: initargs are now deduplicated when computing effective slots.
  * bug fix: TREE-EQUAL with :TEST 'EQL now correctly computes its answer.
    (reported by Bahodir Mansurov)
  * bug fix: compiled (COERCE x 'FLOAT) no longer coerces double-floats into
    single-floats.  (reported by J. Gareth Williams)