List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: pdfGear
From:       John Whittington <john.w () MEDISCIENCE ! CO ! UK>
Date:       2024-04-14 19:25:00

You're welcome, Tom.<br><br>
The message from me you aw was meant to have been CCd to SAS-L but,
because of a hiccupin my mail software got 'rejected' by the list. Hence,
in case anyone is interested, what I wrote was *(assuming this doesn't
also get rejected!):<br><br>
not sure that I 'get it'.&nbsp; <br>
If 800 pages fits in 10 kB, that's only 12.5 bytes per page and, quite
apart from images etc., there will presumably be a lot more than 12.5
characters of text per page.<br>
What am I missing?</blockquote><br>
Kind Regards,&nbsp; John<br><br>
At 19:41 14/04/2024, Tom Salwasser wrote:<br>
off topic blather.<br><br>
A sharp eyed reader questioned my numbers and I did make an error. Thank
you John Whittington in the UK for your help. My owner's  manual PDF was
83mb before compression and 10mb after. Still a significant reduction in
size with no real loss of quality.  <br><br>
This compression is a big deal for me. I subscribe to several newspapers
that provide  what they call an e-edition, which is a digital replica of
their  printed newspaper. This e-edition usually comes with an app for my
iPad. The problem is that &nbsp; the newspapers keep updating their apps
to  require  versions of iOS that are not  compatible with my old  iPad.
To get around this, I download the e-edition to a  PDF, which is almost
always an option. Then I can load the PDF into my old iPad's  Kindle app.
But the fly in the ointment is file  size. Some of the PDF  files
provided by the newspapers are very  large and will not load  to the
Kindle app. &nbsp; I could buy the PDFcompression functionality from
Adobe for a king's ransom, but I feel the price they want is excessive.
Kudos to whoever wrote PDFgear for a great piece of software.<br><br>
On Sun, Apr 14, 2024 at 7:24 AM SAS-L automatic digest system
&lt;<a href="mailto:LISTSERV@listserv.uga.edu">
LISTSERV@listserv.uga.edu</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

<dl>

<dd>
----------------------------------------------------------------------<br>

<dd>Date: &nbsp;  &nbsp; Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:24:05 -0500<br>

<dd>From: &nbsp;  &nbsp; Tom Salwasser
&lt;<a href="mailto:tomsalwasser@GMAIL.COM">tomsalwasser@GMAIL.COM</a>
&gt;<br>

<dd>Downloaded and installed PDFgear and compressed the 800 page owners
manual<br>

<dd>for my vehicle. Which by the way, they no longer give you with your
new<br>

<dd>vehicle purchase. I had to order it for $45 from Ford. It's a
big<br>

<dd>one, barely fits in the glove box. Ford gives a free PDF download and
also<br>

<dd>makes it available on the vehicle dashboard. It's 305KB and it choked
my<br>

<dd>Kindle, it would not load. After running PDFgear compression, it's
only 10K<br>

<dd>in size with no significant loss of quality and loads right up into
my<br>

<dd>Kindle. I've been looking for this compression functionality for
years.<br><br>

Voice:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +44 (0) 1296 730225</div>
Fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +44 (0) 1296 738893</div>
John.W@mediscience.co.uk</div>
UK&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;