List:       sas-l
Subject:    SAS-L: SAS Viya/(SAS/Altair marketing?) vs Altair SLC on Power Workstation
From:       Roger Deangelis <roger_deangelis () COMCAST ! NET>
Date:       2024-02-20 19:02:49

SAS Viya/(SAS/Altair marketing?) vs Altair SLC on Power Workstation

SOAPBOX ON

5 year price comparison
Viya price comparison 5 year(1 seat)  = $2,535,000 (beware of supermax lockdown)
Power workstation Altair SLC(if you can get it) 5 year ( $20,000)

SAS MAKETING

SAS Viya is considered better than base SAS for several reasons. SAS Viya is the third
generation of in-memory services from SAS, replacing SAS LASR Analytic Server and the
SAS High-Performance Analytics engine in SAS 9.

It provides an open user experience,
allowing users to use their existing skill sets in SAS, Python, Lua, or Java to access SAS analytics
Easily done with base SAS with and without FCMP tight integration.

Additionally, SAS Viya is designed to coexist with SAS 9.4 solutions and the SAS 9
environment, and it offers better performance, integration with cloud environments,
and support for a variety of operating systems

While both platforms share some functionality, SAS Viya leverages the CAS server
for distributed processing, which allows it to retain data from one action to the next,
leading to better performance compared to base SAS

Therefore, the advantages of SAS Viya over base SAS include improved performance,
open user experience, and better integration with modern technologies.

ALTERNATE VIEW

Comparison of SAS Viya to Base SAS (similarsystems)

Based on
   Price
   Reliability
   Availability
   Serviceability
   Performance
   Functionality
   Security

I am sure this is a gross over estimation of cost because, like buying
a used car, everyone gets a different price and
you can haggle for a lower price or volume discount.
I am looking a one seat v power workstation.
.

Price comparison (5 years Viya(1 seat $2,535,000)
Power worstation ( $20,000)

   1  Power workstation (for 5 years)
       Total cast 21,000
       Power workstation $1,000 for hardware
       Altair (SLC if you can get it) $4,000 per year( total 20,000)

   2. AWS with SLC equivalent to power worstation (for 5 years)
      Total Cost $12,675,000
      5*2535000 $2,535,000

   Cost to get performace equivalent to a power workstation
   with 256gb ram, 64 logical processors, dual NVMe drives, three 23 inch nonitors
   integrated with the classical editor

   AWS with 16gb, 2 logical processors and max 24gb disk space is $50 per month + 300 slc
   Monthly for power workstation equivalence

            Monthly$     64x2 cpus    256gb ram       NVme  Monthy SLC
   AWS           50  *  (32*2)     *  (11*24)   *     (4) +  800      =   $3,380,000 per month

   Lets applt a 50% discount from AWS for the cpus/ram/disk

   .5 * 3380000 = 1,690,000

   ROI for using the CLASSIC EDITOR on worstation (50% increase in programmer performace
   per programmer) Classic editor not available on AWS.

   1.5*1690000 = $2,535,000

   Also there is an advantage uing Windows over Linux

This is how IBM used to measure overall mainframe usability.
I am using it for a power worstation

  1. Reliability
  2. Availability.
  3. Serviciability
  4. Performance
  5. Functionality
  6. Security

I use either excel or SAS running on both platforms for comparisons.

  1. Reliability.
      There was a bug in SAS 9.3 where 'proc distinct' gave the wrong answer for very high
      cardinality.
         Workstation: I downloaded the fix from SAS and installed it on my workstation in 30 minutes
         Server:      Reported it a couple of months ago and it is still not fixed

  2. Availability.
      Workstation: 99.9%
      Server:      85% (Mostly due to the fact that you need an internet connection and scheduled
      and non scheduled downtime also very slow when AWS system utilization is over 99%)

  3. Serviceability:
      Workstation: I added a second NVMe drive to my power workstation in 2 minutes
      Server: Generally mot possible

  4. Performance
      Workstation: More ram, CPUs, NVMee drives and 100% of the XEONs. Very fast response time
                   not like a server dial-up connection
                   Supports
                   Response time is critical, time from enter to results.
      Server: Little Ram spinning raid 5 drives

  5. Functionality
      Workstation: You have an operating system, R, Python, Ghostscript, Perl, C, Java...
                   ODBC(excel access...), more disk space(Try getting 5TB on the server)...
                   drop downs to Powershell, R, Python and Perl
      Server:      Generally locked down most of the above not available.
                   Ask about supermax lockdown of sas

  6.  Security
        Workstation: Only have a subset of data. Local and disk encryption.
        Server: Has the jewels so obviously a better targer for hackers.
        The ultimate security is to separate the workstation from the internet and
        set up a very secure transfer protocol to communicate with the 'insecure' server.

SOAPBOX OFF