List:       sas-l
Subject:    SAS Forum: Random access of records fails for SPDS partitioned tables in EG server
From:       Roger DeAngelis <rogerjdeangelis () GMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2020-09-28 15:24:52

Problem:                                                                              \
  Random access of records fails for SPDS partitioned tables in EG server?            \

                                                                                      \
 Example                                                                              \
  Select observation 1, 3, and 10 randomly from have table                            \

                                                                                      \
 Comments in the SAS Forum response                                                   \

                                                                                      \
 "That looks like an error from Enterprise Guide instead of from SAS."                \

                                                                                      \
 SAS Forum                                                                            \
 https://tinyurl.com/y3rx2e6k                                                         \
 https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/SPDS-Does-not-support-random-access/m-p/687182 \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \
 SOAPBOX ON
                                                                                      \
  If you don't have a single table over 1Tb you might consider SPDE and full classic \
workstation SAS.       Workstation SPDE is free with workstation SAS and is almost as \
                powerful as SPDE?
                                                                                      \
  Perhaps it is best to avoid Frankenstein implementations of SAS.                    \
  There are so many FCMP, EG, EE, Studio, LUA, DS2, Viya,                             \
  FedSQL(we need 128bit floats), SASPy(need drop down from SAS table I/O and shared \
storage) ...                             and consider using a SAS workstation for \
non-big data (single table over 1Tb),                          non-big \
simulations(1000s of cores needed) or non-large transaction problems.                 \
  Certainly workstation SAS is useful for development.

SOABOX OFF                                                                            \

                                                                                      \
 /*                   _                                                               \
 (_)_ __  _ __  _   _| |_                                                             \
 | | `_ \| `_ \| | | | __|                                                            \
 |_|_| |_| .__/ \__,_|\__|                                                            \

        |_|                                                                           \

*/
                                                                                      \
 libname spd spde ('f:\spde_f' 'm:\spde_m');                                          \

                                                                                      \
 proc sql;                                                                            \
  create                                                                              \
  table have as                                                                       \
  select                                                                              \

    *                                                                                 \
  from                                                                                \
  sashelp.class                                                                       \
 ;quit;                                                                               \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \
 HAVE total obs=19                                                                    \

                                                                                      \
  NAME       SEX    AGE    HEIGHT    WEIGHT                                           \

                                                                                      \
  Joyce       F      11     51.3       50.5                                           \
  Louise      F      12     56.3       77.0                                           \
  Alice       F      13     56.5       84.0                                           \
  James       M      12     57.3       83.0                                           \
  Thomas      M      11     57.5       85.0                                           \
  John        M      12     59.0       99.5                                           \
  Jane        F      12     59.8       84.5                                           \

...                                                                                   \

                                                                                      \
 /*           _               _                                                       \
  ___  _   _| |_ _ __  _   _| |_                                                      \
  / _ \| | | | __| `_ \| | | | __|                                                    \
 | (_) | |_| | |_| |_) | |_| | |_                                                     \
  \___/ \__,_|\__| .__/ \__,_|\__|                                                    \

                |_|                                                                   \

*/                                                                                    \

                                                                                      \
 WORK.WANT total obs=3                                                                \

                                                                                      \
  POINT    NAME     SEX    AGE    HEIGHT    WEIGHT                                    \

                                                                                      \
  1     Joyce     F      11     51.3       50.5                                       \
  3     Carol     F      14     62.8      102.5                                       \
  10     Carol     F      14     62.8      102.5                                      \

                                                                                      \
 /*                                                                                   \
  _ __  _ __ ___   ___ ___  ___ ___                                                   \
 | `_ \| `__/ _ \ / __/ _ \/ __/ __|                                                  \
 | |_) | | | (_) | (_|  __/\__ \__ \                                                  \
 | .__/|_|  \___/ \___\___||___/___/                                                  \
 |_|                                                                                  \

*/                                                                                    \

                                                                                      \
 data want;                                                                           \
  retain point;                                                                       \
  do pnt=1,3,10;                                                                      \

     set want point=pnt;                                                              \

     point=pnt;                                                                       \

     output;                                                                          \
  end;                                                                                \
  stop;                                                                               \
 run;quit;                                                                            \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \