List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: FPC Correction on Sample Size
From:       Warren Schlechte <Warren.Schlechte () TPWD ! TEXAS ! GOV>
Date:       2014-01-31 22:34:50

I think the issue you're running into is that you need more subjects than are \
available to get the precision you desire.

Let's keep this simple.  Say I have 10 subjects, and I want to split them into two \
groups and test whether Trt_A varies from Trt_B by <=1%.  I cannot do this, as with \
10 people, my error will always be larger than I want it to be.  For example, if \
Trt_A has a mean response of 50%, even if I put 9 of the 10 people into Trt_A, my SE \
is still 17%.  I have no ability to differentiate small differences because I have \
too few samples.

Further, I have to question whether the fpc is appropriate under such a situation.  \
Is 10 truly the entire population, or is it really a sample from a much larger \
population?  Recall, the fpc is supposed to shrink the variance down to zero to \
accommodate the idea that as you sample all the population, you arrive at a census; \
you no longer have a sample.  However, in the instance where you are administering an \
experimental treatment, does the fpc make sense?  I would suggest not since the \
response is a random variable, even if applied to all units.  As such, you never get \
0 variance; that is, you never get a census.  If you repeated this experiment several \
times, it would seem unlikely that you would get exactly the same proportional \
response to Trt_A each time.

What I would do is to go back to Proc Power, create a sample of 400, with the split \
that I wanted (say 2:1), and see what power I had to detect different proportional \
differences.

Alternatively, you could create a simulation with some underlying idea of the \
variance around the response (see Agresti and Caffo: Simple and Effective Confidence \
Intervals for Proportions and Differences of Proportions Result from Adding Two \
Successes and Two Failures), and use simulation to estimate power.

HTH,

Warren Schlechte
Learn how you can help Texas State Parks