List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Productivity and the Program Development Interface
From:       Roger DeAngelis <rogerjdeangelis () GMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2012-12-29 14:23:43

Hi SAS-Lers

I am very familiar with SAS EG, the Enhanced Editor, the Original Text
Editor VB and Eclipse like IDEs.

As far as debugging, SAS EG does not support the datastep debugger but is a
great tool
for non-programmers.

I agree that project templates help when creating similar projects.
However basic SAS does not lend itself to the creation of stand alone
binary packages and
much of what that is in 'Eclipse' like IDEs is to bind objects into
packages. Also Eclipse and Visual Studio focuse on building GUIs.

Eclipse definately slows me down with SAS, Eclipse it is more batch
oriented with SAS.

I can't get into all the details here, but I have used lexicology especially
Triple Letter Acronyms to catoriize projects, SAS program names,
directory structures and even variable names.

I have a dictionary.

I don't consider my programming to be machine like but I do get into and
stay in the zone for longer periods of time than with other editors. I
always try to build on the elements of an IDE that lead to graeter
productivity.

I have used this a system of TLAs for over 25 years and it still seems to
be revelant.

Just yesterday I started with a template of three SAS programs to
create a model for targeting 'gambling whales'(hide true target).

Programs

mdl_1stOptBin.sas = Binning of Characteristics (not a zip file like EG)
mdl_2ndModDel.sas = Select Model
mdl_3rdProFyl.sas = Profile Target

To see some of the properties of my TLAs see

http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1212B&L=sas-l&P=R7502&m=341680
http://tinyurl.com/bs6xp8l

Here is what the header of the templale looks like

*****************************
Program Name              =  %
M%                                                                        *
SCCS File Path            =  %
P%                                                                        *
Version                   =  %
I%                                                                        *
Version Date              =  %G% %
U%                                                                    *
Program Language          =  SAS
V9.3                                                                   *
Operating System          =  SunOS SUN
64                                                               *
****************************/
*
                            *
*; %let  foo_Purpose      = First of three programs to create AE AdAm
dataset;                         ;*
*
                            *
*; %let  foo_Program_Name =
foo_1stSamPlePgm                                                           ;
*
*
                            *
*; %let  foo_Input1       = z:\foo\Sd1
\Epo_RawAev.sas7bdat;                                            ;*
*
                            *
*; %let  foo_Output1      =
z:\foo\Epo_SdmAev.sas7bdat;                                                ;
*
*
                            *
*; %let  foo_Flow         ='