List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Can PC/SAS really take advantage of powerful new hardware?
From:       "William W. Viergever" <william () VIERGEVER ! NET>
Date:       2012-07-31 20:52:54

more disk/spindles do help: e.g., OS on C:, swap (pagefile) on D:, and temp on J:, \
input data on another (G:, H:, I:, L:, or K:), output data to a disk you did not read \
from ... all this is better than having (e.g., as in a laptop) just one drive

fyi - i've been running a 2 processor (dual-core - Opteron 2220SE's) box since '07 \
... all hard drives are 15K rpm Seagate Cheetah SAS drives which has served me well \
but have begun to look for a new box and may go back to Intel

also, re. SSD's ... managed to score an OEM Samsung 256gb mSata card (this goes where \
a 3G wireless card would go) and spent the weekend tearing down my Thinkpad W520 \
(2.20Ghz quad code i7 cpu w/ 32gb ram) and installed the mSata to use as my boot \
drive (and programs) and kept the 500gb 7200 rpm drive for Data ... for now ... may \
get a 500gb Samsung 830 SSD when i can get some spare change

so far this puppy SCREAMS ... don't have apps/programs re-installed yet, but when i \
do will run some test jobs to compare against current desktop

p.s.  the W520 also has 2 USB 3.0 ports, so have a couple of 1TB USB 3.0 external \
drives i can use to get back to my multi-spindle setup

William W. Viergever
Viergever & Associates
Health Data Analysis / Systems Design & Development
2920 Arden Way Suite N
Sacramento, CA 95825
william@viergever.net
www.viergever.net