List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Rel 9.2 : Running 64 bit and 32 bit versions
From:       Joe Whitehurst <joewhitehurst () GMAIL ! COM>
Date:       2011-05-31 22:17:20

Cindy,

Your recommendation might work but it may lead to a library with both 32bit
and 64bit datasets--something that SAS specifically warns against:

Beginning with the second maintenance release of SAS 9.2, libraries migrated
by the migration tools will automatically be
converted to 64-bit.
Libraries not migrated by the tools, or migrated by an earlier release of
SAS 9.2, will not be converted to 64-bit. You can
manually migrate these 32-bit libraries to 64-bit libraries, or you can
access them from SAS 9.2 with CEDA (crossenvironment data access.)
Manual migration with PROC MIGRATE is recommended rather than CEDA because
PROC MIGRATE:
• is a one-time process.
• provides validation tools.
• converts library members to native 64-bit format, so processing will be
faster than it would be with run-time
CEDA processing.
• prevents mixed 32-bit and 64-bit libraries. (Default SAS processing will
output new data files in 64-bit mode,
and a mixed library is not optimal, because you can accidentally write over
an existing 32-bit file if the name
is duplicated.)
• avoids CEDA constraints. For example, CEDA does not read SAS catalogs
(which can contain user-defined
formats), indexes, integrity constraints, or audit trails. For a list of
CEDA constraints, see
http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/617222/HTML/default/a002143983.htm#a002118680.
Migrating a SAS Deployment to  Microsoft Windows f