List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Cost analyses using PROC GENMOD using link=log and dist=gamma
From:       Sigurd Hermansen <HERMANS1 () WESTAT ! COM>
Date:       2008-04-30 23:04:27

Amy:

See http://www.ats.ucla.edu/STAT/sas/output/sas_negbin_output.htm ,

especially,

As assumed for a negative binomial model our response variable is a count variable, \
and each subject has the same length of observation time. Had the observation time \
for subjects varied, the model would need to be adjusted to account for the varying \
length of observation time per subject. This point is discussed later in the page. \
Also, the negative binomial model, as compared to other count models (i.e., poisson \
or zero-inflated models), is assumed to be the appropriate model. In other words, we \
assume that the dependent variable is ill-dispersed (either under- or over- \
dispersed) and does not have an excessive number of zeros.

Overriding everything else, though, would be the risk of finding ostensibly \
significant (Type 2 error) but small differences in means or other statistics in two \
partitions of a large sample. The distributions of costs related to the two cohorts \
could very likely result from typical variations in samples. The confidence intervals \
of the means of costs for the two cohorts overlap. More complex models would have to \
include other covariates, not more complex assumptions about distributions, to \
explain a benefit to the intervention in some groups within the population. S