List:       sas-l
Subject:    Fullstimer - interpreting the stats
From:       Ali G <Alistair.Gordon () NEWTYNE ! COM>
Date:       2005-10-31 14:53:51

Below are two extracts from a log for two processes which are different
in method but the same in aim.

Process A

CPU     time -         00:00:00.92
Elapsed time -         00:00:07.05
Vector affinity time - 00:00:00.00
Vector usage    time - 00:00:00.00
RSM Hiperspace  time - 00:00:00.00
EXCP count   - 544
Task  memory - 3675K (130K data, 3545K program)
Total memory - 17482K (6048K data, 11434K program)

Process B

CPU     time -         00:00:00.67
Elapsed time -         00:00:04.78
Vector affinity time - 00:00:00.00
Vector usage    time - 00:00:00.00
RSM Hiperspace  time - 00:00:00.00
EXCP count   - 533
Task  memory - 3902K (888K data, 3014K program)
Total memory - 17482K (6048K data, 11434K program)

Question: in terms of memory which is the best?  My expectation was
that Process A would use less memory than B, and if I look at Task
Memory then this is true, but in both instances Total Memory is the
same and according to Michael Raithels book "Tuning SAS Apps..." this
is "...the total amount of memory that was required to complete the
task."  So is process A any better than B in this regard?

Using 8.2 on z/os