List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Selecting a brand new computer system
From:       Kevin Myers <KevinMyers () AUSTIN ! RR ! COM>
Date:       2002-10-31 20:29:35

Hi George -

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was saying that SAS is not
I/O intensive.  I have repeatedly said exactly the opposite!!!

Yes, I was saying that SCSI is not much faster then IDE in my experience,
where realistic *workstation* configurations are concerned.  However, it
does appear that my SCSI information was a little outdated.  Last time I
messed with it, SCSI was still limited to 160MBps (less SCSI command
overhead), so that would affect my conclusions a little bit.  BUT...

The Seagate drive that you referenced is certainly blazingly fast.  With
15000RPM spindle speed and 3.2ms average seek, it's average data access
latency is spectacularly low.  That will be fantastic for a typical server
application where a single drive or RAID array is handling I/O requests from
multiple processes.  However, the Seagate's sustained data transfer rate
(69MBps) is not that much better than the IBM which you referenced (56MBps),
and it is the sustained data transfer rate that will have the biggest impact
on typical SAS processes, which as you noted are typically very heavy with
sequential I/O.  Also, note that neither one of these drive's sustained
transfer rates approach that of their interfaces.  So, it would be probably
be reasonable to put 4 of the Seagates per SCSI 320 channel, or a pair of
the IBMs per ATA 133 channel.  (FWIW I based my prior info on top end
Western Digital and Maxtor drive specs, which aren't much different from the
IBM.)

Though the multiple device and cabling restrictions that you mentioned are
accurate, I don't believe those will have any impact on this user's system,
which was intended to be a workstation, not a server.  As such, I
anticipated that it would only have a maximum of 2 CPUs and a single high
speed PCI bus to keep the cost within reason, and therefore a maximum of 4
to 8 high speed drives.  If those limits don't apply, then the advantages of
a SCSI based system that you mention might become more important.

All in all, I'll stick to my prior recommendation, while admitting that it
is slightly biased toward lower cost rather than absolute maximum
performance.  As an independent engineer who has to foot my own hardware
bills, I tend to think that way, namely maximum bang for my somewhat limited
bucks...

s/KAM