List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Advantages of SAS over SPSS
From:       Arthur Tabachneck <atabachneck () ROGERS ! COM>
Date:       2003-07-31 22:43:26

Tonya,

Each has a number of advantages and disadvantages, although both are good
statistical packages.

If you have a lot of need for combining, matching, aggregating, and/or
reorganizing data, SAS has always been much stronger in that area.

If you need to quickly run analyses, reports or graphs, I have always found
SPSS to require less time, or experience, to get a computer to do what you
need.

Conversely, if you don't mind spending the time building your code, SAS
allows you to control a lot more of the particulars involved in any
analysis.

One thing both have always included, regardless of what you are running or
how (e.g., with a GUI), is that they provide the source code so that you
don't have to replicate the various points-and-clicks to re-run or make
minor changes to an analysis.  SAS has deviated from this in their data
mining routines, but I don't know if SPSS has done the same thing or not.

If you or your staff have good programming skills, you might prefer SAS.
Conversely, if you/they don't, you would probably prefer SPSS.

If you need to access data from various sources (e.g., Oracle, Access,
Excel, etc.), SAS is probably the stronger of the two.  However, I have to
admit, I don't know of SPSS has caught up in this area.

Hope that helps,
Art
ORG...