List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Why does performance vary so much?
From:       Real SAS User <sasuser () GUILDENSTERN ! DYNDNS ! ORG>
Date:       2003-06-30 14:30:51

on Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 08:34:29AM -0400, Fuchs, Tom (Tom.Fuchs@LGEENERGY.COM) wrote:
> Ms Chang,
>
> I am presuming that you are running SAS on the PC.
>
> I had the same problem last month when I was manipulating a large
> database in Microsoft Access.   A query executed one day would run in
> 3 minutes.  The next day the exact same query would take 2 hours.  I
> found the culprit for this wide variance -- a fragmented hard drive.
> I ran the Defragmentation software on my PC and my queries were again
> running in 3 minutes.
>
> I hope that this helps.

Dowsing for performance bottlenecks is well and good.  I'd certainly not
want to stand in the way of a long established tradition.

Running the Windows Performance Monitor with a judicious selection of
memory, CPU, disk, and network monitors might yield more predictive
data, however.

Note that there's a slight problem noted on some systems in which the
performance monitor actually results in the system BSODing.  From which
one can only draw the obvious conclusion:  Microsoft strongly desires
you _not_ profile performance.

--
Charming man. I wish I had a daughter so I could forbid her to marry one...