List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: SPAM forcing unsubscription - proposed solution for Digests
From:       Philip Gallagher <PGall9898 () AOL ! COM>
Date:       2003-03-31 15:52:16

w.r.t. Steve Albert's problem with pornographic spam in SAS-L Digests
evoking IT demands to unsubscribe:

Considering Digests alone, there is a possible solution, that is, moderators.
Since there are usually only four to seven digests per day, perhaps it would
not be an insufferable burden for a brave soul(s) to volunteer to "moderate"
the Digests.  No more than deleting obvious spam, followed by forwarding
to the Digest list.  (I don't know the mechanism by which the LISTSERV
could implement this, but I don't know anything about the internal workings
of LISTSERVs anyway, but I know a clever programmer must be able to
devise a way for the LISTSERV to permit posting only by the moderator
to the Digest list.  At least I hope there is an easy way.)
With a halfways decent editor (NOT AOL!) it should not usually take more
than two minutes per digest, and maybe even less.  Hence, hopefully not
more than 15 minutes per day.

Downsides:
1.  The time of the brave moderator.
2.  Additional delay before we see the digests.  As it is, a whole string of
answers have often appeared somewhere down the line before we digest
readers ever see the first question.  Still, if it would get thousands(?) of
Highly Esteemed IT Gurus off our backs, well, ...

Phil Gallagher
Nantucket

Error above:  the text above should have read "Maximally Highly Esteemed
IT Gurus", at least as long as they rule our world.  :-)