List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: how to read Missing Values using s370fpd on Unix
From:       Ian Whitlock <WHITLOI1 () WESTAT ! COM>
Date:       2002-12-31 16:26:25

Eric,

proc format ;
   invalue myfmt
     "40404040c9"x = .I
     other = [s370fpd5.]
   ;
run ;

data _null_ ;
   input q $hex10. ;
   x = input ( q , myfmt. ) ;
   put x= ;
cards ;
40404040c9
000000016c
;

IanWhitlock@westat.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Payumo [mailto:evtp@INREACH.COM]
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 10:37 PM
To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

I am running sas 6 on Unix.  I have an input file created on an IBM
mainframe (presumably).  It mostly has packed data, which I can read
with s370fpdn.  However, I can't read the special missing values which
appear as ebcdic text.

For example on the the following inputs, i would like the variable to
equal .I and 16 respectively.  Below are the inputs, an input
statement and the message I receive in the log.

How do I do this on Unix without getting a lot of "Invalid data for
FOO..." messages and . values?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Thanks.

Input snippets:
    I                 %
4444c             00006
00009             0001c

SAS code snippet:
input @1 foo s370fpd5.;

SAS log snippet:
NOTE: Invalid data for FOO in line 1 1-5.