List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Overview of Data _Null_
From:       Rush Daugette <rush_d () TECASSOCIATES ! COM>
Date:       2001-05-31 14:43:47

Mark, just to expand on what Biff and others have said,  I'll just add that
when you need to take total control of a report's behavior, data _null_ is
an option you should look at.  This option assumes that you're okay dealing
with non-proportional fonts and that you don't want to use ODS (someone
correct me here, but I'm thinking this is a future enhancement).  Data
_null_ is pretty much a by-your-bootstraps approach, but in turn you get
enormous power as Paul has mentioned.  For example,  we had a client that
was very particular about having a customized layout including
variable-length subtotal headings and strict paging requirements.  Data
_null_ gave us total control of these items plus the flexible framework to
add any new features that arose.

Rush