List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: XML for SAS
From:       MCPalmer <mcpalmer () ZBI ! NET>
Date:       1999-11-30 16:33:30

>Tim Churches recently wrote in response to Jack Hamilton
>
>An XML engine for SAS datasets sounds ideal. Would someone at SI
>please make the proposed XML format available to us! The whole point
>of XML formats is that they are not supposed to be secret.

Jack, Tim, and other SAS/XMLers,

If you want to get information from SAS to XML documents, and vice versa,
the OASIS table model ( http://www.oasis-open.org/html/tm9901.htm ) provides
a DTD fragment that's "lite" enough to work with in DATA steps (without an
XML parser). A paper that I gave about this at regional SUGs is available at
the "Presentations and Publications" page at my web site ( www.zbi.net ).

For that matter, you can create arbitrary (not necessarily for a document)
XML in a DATA step and then pass it out of SAS to third party applications,
or import it. Some sort of XML engine/parser accessible from a DATA step
would be better,  but useful things can be done even without it.

Michael Palmer