List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: SETinit for 612
From:       amichiel () EARTHLING ! NET
Date:       1999-10-29 15:28:39

I think you will discover that every single byte contained in the
setinit file (proc) is important.  That includes the company name.
Every single (visible) byte in the file (proc) is included in that
algorithm that builds/decodes/transforms the security link between
the site id and passwords.  True, the 'software' doesn't care less
what the company name is, but the company name can not change,
without generating new passwords.  So, if you 'steal' a setinit,
you can not change the company name (easily).

> Please respond to Sloan <faith@FRSA.COM>
> frank.mwaniki@PHARMA.NOVARTIS.COM wrote:
> >...is this not the file that contains all your site
> > specific info including the expiration
> > dates for your current SAS softwareand passwords? If so, how can
> > anybody else's setinit help you? Or what am I missing?
> ...the set init has password and expiration info. It also has OS
> info. The software couldn't care less whether my company name is "FRS
> Associates, LLC" or "FRS Don't Get Stat/SAS Humor Inc."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.