List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: SAS/CONNECT & Win/NT.
From:       Bigpond <tchur () BIGPOND ! COM>
Date:       1999-01-29 20:50:40

Howard Wright wrote:
>Hi Angela,
>
>Here is the file that I use to start the spawner in secure mode:
>
>d:
>cd d:\sas
>connect\sasexe\spawner.exe -d
>connect\sasexe\spawner.exe -comamid tcp -i -security
>net start "SAS Job Spawner"
>
>Please also make sure that you've got the latest version of the spawner
>from the SAS web site (www.sas.com).  The one that shipped with 6.12 TS020
>is broke and doesn't handle NT security properly.
>
>Howard Wright
>InfoActive
>Cape Town
>South Africa
>
>Angelo Menna wrote:
>>
>> Hi to All,
>>
>> i am trying to establish a remote sas session on Win/NT ws from a Solaris
>> one. I should like to log in the NT system with its native security
access
>> validation, but it seems quite hard to realize.
>>
>> I am looking for solutions about options to include in the spawner
>> invocation and suggestion to check right NT user settings .
>>
>> Any help is greatly appreciated,
>> thanks in advance,
>>
>> Angelo MENNA, Statistician.

You can also add the following options when installing the spawner as a
service (i.e. spawner -i):

-authserver primdomserv
 (refers login requests to the NT server called primdomserv for
authentication rather than using the local password database - useful if you
have an NT Domain)

-nocleartext
 (sends the password to the SAS spawner is a lightly encrypted form rather
than clear text, but requires the client to be running SAS 6.12)

-Z
 (makes the spawner write debug information to a log file called spawner.dat
so you can see what it is doing. You have to stop the spawner [use net stop
"SAS Job Spawner"] to view the log file.)

As long as you use the latest Version 7 spawner (even if you are running
V6.12 SAS), it works very reliably. However, as Howard remarks, the versions
of spawner distributed with 6.12 TS020 and TS045 and TS050 are completely
broken and will cause you days of frustration trying to get them to work. I
gather that the V7 spawner will be distributed with 6.12 TS055, or get it
from the Web site as Howard suggests.

Cheers,

Tim Churches