List:       sas-l
Subject:    MVS:  automated wildcard ISPF library member processing?
From:       "Self, Karsten" <Karsten.Self () SCHWAB ! COM>
Date:       1999-01-28 23:24:32

I'm trying to build a search tool for finding keywords in ISPF library
members.  I'm finding existing ISPF tools somewhat primitive for the task.
A Unix equivalent would be:

...or -- search from the specified path for files matching <pattern> for
keywords matching <pattern>, and list the files matching both conditions.

If there is a way to accomplish this via native system functions, I'd
appreciate knowing this.  It doesn't appear this is the case based on
institutional knowledge.

I'd like to accomplish this via SAS, specifying an ISPF library pattern to
search, and the keywords to search, eg:

 Library= ZZ#USERID.*.SAS
 Pattern= "cool stuff"

...and output the library _and_ member in which "cool stuff" is found.

The library pattern may match 100s of members, which may be on DASD or
migrated to tape.  I'm assuming an access request will prompt a tape load.

The hangups for me are:

 - Specifying the library list -- I could do this by had but would prefer
   some sort of wildcarding method.

 - Building a list of member names or otherwise performing concatenated
   processing of a list of members within a library.

Suggestions appreciated.
--
Karsten M. Self (Karsten.Self@schwab.com)
Trilogy Consulting

    What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?

WARNING:  All e-mail sent to or from this address will be received by the
Charles Schwab corporate  e-mail system and is subject to archival and
review by someone other than the recipient.

This communication does not necessarily reflect the views or position of The
Charles Schwab Corporation, or any of its subsidiaries or their affiliates.