List:       sas-l
Subject:    Re: Undocumented methods
From:       Kurt Beckman <kurt_beckman () EARTHLINK ! NET>
Date:       1997-08-31 2:39:15

   Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:30
Subject: Undocumented methods
   From: Kurt Beckman 102146.2003@compuserve.com
     To: John Iwaniszek <JOHNI@QCHN.QUINTILES.COM>

Dear John Iwaniszek:

On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:20:42 -0400,
in <13255142180919@reliant.usa.com>
you wrote:

>I am very interested in learning where Phil Mason's information on
>undocumented methods is coming from.  My instinct is that our collective
>interests would be better served by knowing where to get this
>information, rather than being treated to it in small bites.
>
>John Iwaniszek

It is tempting to use nifty undocumented features that one may
discover.  However, it is good to bear in mind that an OEM is not
obliged to support undocumented features, their behavior can be
unpredictable, and that they are subject to disappear in the
software's next release!

For these reasons I have avoided their use in anything to be used
by my customers.  At least that way you are within your rights to
expect the software to perform as documented.

I hope this information will be of some help to you.  If
there are any questions please do not hesitate to contact
me at the numbers listed below.

Sincerely

Kurt D. Beckman
SAS Consultant